The 2020 programme is now past. We will be launching the 2021 programme mid August 2021
This walk was curated and researched by Open House Volunteer, Bob Dawes
Orford Road Conservation Area
Ison’s Hardware & Ironmongery
5-11 Eden Road
The Asian Centre
Old Town Hall
Church House & Hayward House
Old Coach House
Walthamstow Village Centre
The Ancient House
Vestry House Museum
The National Spiritualist Church
Old Fire Engine House
The Welcome Centre
St Mary’s Church
Fairmont, 11 Church Hill
St Marys Vicarage
Walthamstow School for Girls
Waltham Forest Town Hall and Assembly Hall
Two Corners, Hoe Street
William Morris Gallery
Walthamstow Central Library
Acknowledgement: Many of the descriptions of buildings in this walk draw heavily on Waltham Forest Council’s Conservation Area Appraisal Management Plans
Walthamstow Walk: The Four Centres of Walthamstow
The walk takes approximately 1hour 45mins (plus time to look at the buildings) The options of exploring the Winns Estate and the High Street will each add approximately 30 mins.
Start: Walthamstow Central Tube Station.
Exit the Tube Station on the south side onto the newly landscaped Station Approach, (not towards the Town Centre). The development surrounding you is.........
Walthamstow Gateway (Rolfe Judd Architects, 2019): A mixed use development of three apartment blocks. On either side is the first phase of the scheme completed in 2014 which provides 69 homes (50% ‘affordable’), a hotel and commercial units. The second phase, largely hidden behind the block to your right on exiting the station, completed in 2019, is built above the station car park and has a further 79 homes. Developed in partnership with Network Rail, some of the value created was used to improve the station’s environment. A high density scheme for outer London it depends on direct access to a major public transport interchange.
Turn left. (The railway should be on your left). Walk to the junction with Hoe Street. Cross Hoe Street and turn right. Note the dedicated cycle lanes.
“Mini- Holland”. This walk shows much evidence of Waltham Forest Council’s current use of a £30m fund from the Mayor of London, for traffic management works to improve cycling and walking infrastructure. Known as “Mini-Holland”, Waltham Forest is one of three outer Boroughs to benefit from this funding which runs to 2021. The cycling element of the project has proved controversial with some but is based on the Dutch experience that for cycling to become more popular and widespread in the long term, a safe and practical environment needs to be provided first.
Just past the Juniper House pocket park, (under construction in summer 2020), take the first turning on the left, (First Avenue). Walk to the end of the road which turns right about halfway along. At the end turn left into Orford Road and walk to the junction with East Avenue opposite the Queens Arms. You have arrived in ……
Orford Road Conservation Area: This shopping street was Walthamstow’s Victorian Town Centre. It is now the focus of a Conservation Area which contains an eclectic mix of predominantly Victorian cottages, villas, semi-detached and terraced houses, shops, and civic buildings. Originally Church land, the neighbourhood was subdivided for development from 1853. In 1870 the arrival of the railway further promoted suburbanisation of the wider area and by 1877 Orford Road was the high class shopping centre of Walthamstow with 35 shops. The Queen’s Arms is an example of a traditional Victorian purpose built public house. It originally had a large gas lantern over the corner entrance. Diagonally opposite the Queens Arms is.....
Orford House (1802): A Grade ll listed two storey stuccoed Regency Villa, this is the oldest building in the Conservation Area. It was originally set in extensive landscaped grounds most of which were developed after 1850. It is largely unaltered except for a sympathetically designed extension on the left as you look at the house.
Walk along Orford Road. On the right, note the restored original shopfronts at Nos 71, 69, 59 & 57. On the corner by the pocket park where Eden Road omes in on the right is……
Ison’s Hardware & Ironmongery, 47 Orford Road (1902): A traditional corner shop with a particularly fine shopfront still largely in original condition with a glazed and gilded fascia sign. In the Ison family until recently, it has been sympathetically restored and extended.
Take a detour along Eden Road. On the left side of the road after a few yards is……
5-11 Eden Road: These modest cottages, originally called St Mary Place, are a typical cottage design from the early 19th century when they cost between £12 and £19 to build. No 7 is a perfectly restored example, with “Georgian” style sash windows, flush-beaded timber front door. However, it no longer has a Welsh slate roof.
Continue along Eden Road as far as the junction with Randolph Road on the right. Almost opposite the junction, on the left side of Eden Road is a narrow path known as ……..
Eden Grove (1862): This little cul-de-sac is the centre of a group of semi-detached cottages built by Ebenezer Clarke, a non-conformist developer who believed in improving housing conditions for locals and migrating Londoners. Clarke, who lived nearby, bought ten plots on Eden Road and built eighteen semi-detached cottages “for the labouring poor”. Whilst somewhat cramped, these charming brick cottages with timber casement windows and slate roofs survive today as an early local example of social engineering and philanthropy.
Return to Orford Road. Almost opposite the junction is….
The Asian Centre (1866): Built as an addition to St Mary’s National School whose other, earlier building will be seen later in the walk, it was used as a school until 1949. It became an Asian community centre in 1977. It is a designed in a “rogue Gothic style” by William Wiggington. Locally listed, it is architecturally typical of mid Victorian National Schools. It has a large central hall lit by a huge circular window under a steeply pitched slate roof, with entrances and classrooms provided on either side in flanking wings. Built of yellow London stock brickwork with stone dressings, decorative red & blue brick banding and diaper work, the cast iron cresting from the entrance-wing roofs has gone and the main windows on the street frontage have been altered. Otherwise it is still largely original in appearance.
Continue right along Orford Road. After a few yards on the left is the ……
Old Town Hall (1876): Built by the Walthamstow Local Board it replaced the Vestry House (seen later) as the seat of local government. Used as the Town Hall until 1941, it was in turn replaced by the current Town Hall in Forest Road (which is also seen later on this walk). The Old Town Hall is a Grade ll listed building. Built of yellow London stock brickwork with stucco dressings, and designed in an eclectic mix of Italianate & French second empire styles, the building remains largely original externally. It still retains an imposing presence in Orford Road and it is one of the most important buildings in the area. Since the forties the building has been a hospital, a children’s nursery and is now a Chinese Temple.
Continue along Orford Road. Soon Orford Road turns to the left. On the right, just as the road turns is …….
Lyndhurst: 17 Orford Road is one of the more substantial Victorian Villas in the area. It was built in the 1850s and contrasts with the more modest cottages seen earlier. A few similar villas were built for wealthy City businessmen before smaller higher density development prevailed and of these only a handful survive today. Lynhurst still has much of its original external appearance with a “shallow-pitched slate roof, deep bracketed eaves, elegant timber sash windows with slender glazing bars, grand timber doors and classically inspired doorcase”.
Continue along Orford Road. Either side of Summit Road on the right are…..
Church House & Hayward House: Like Lyndhurst these two properties are villas from the 1850s built before the railway arrived and the rural character of the area was changed. These examples have been extended and converted into flats but retain the typical shallow slate roofs and other features in common with Lyndhurst.
Continue over the railway bridge past the Nag’s Head Pub. Adjoining the pub are the…..
Old Coach Houses (1859): The two former Coach houses were built along with the pub by Francis Wragg, who ran the village inn and before the arrival of the railway in Walthamstow ran a stagecoach service from the village to the railway at Lea Bridge Station from where there was access to the City.
Continue to the end of Orford Road at the junction with Church Lane/Church End.
Walthamstow Village Centre: You are now standing in the centre of the medieval village of Walthamstow which was clustered around the Church and churchyard. The village changed very little from 1650 – 1850 remaining essentially little more than a rural hamlet. From then its close proximity to London made it an increasingly convenient and attractive dwelling place for city merchants, and their large houses and parks became scattered across the parish. In the second half of the 19th century London expanded over the Lea valley into Essex and the 1850s and 1860s heralded the transformation of Walthamstow from a rural parish into a Victorian city suburb. By the 1870’s Walthamstow’s centre of gravity had left the old village and ‘moved’ across the railway to Orford Road which we have just viewed. On the right at the junction of Orford Road with Church Lane is………….
The Ancient House: A surprise for suburban London, Pevsner describes the Ancient House as “a notably complete timber framed hall house of 15th century.” It is built on the site of the manor house of the Norman Lord of the Manor, Ralph de Toni in a style typical of Essex villages. The Village Conservation Area Appraisal says: “Two storeys in height the building originally comprised a central hall open to the roof with a central hearth, and gabled cross wings at either end. In residential use for centuries, by the 19th century the ground floor was occupied by shops, with associated shop windows inserted, and a first floor had been created in the central hall complete with dormer windows.” In the 1970’s it was converted into four flats. Restoration in 2001 saw “the timber frame of the hall and west cross wing extensively repaired and restored, the dormer windows and half of the first floor construction removed, the exterior sensitively remodelled, including reinstatement of long missing oriel windows, and a factory in the rear garden removed. The level of accommodation was also reduced to three units; one in the central hall and one in each of the cross wings.” The building is a fine example of its type, Grade ll listed and “one of the jewels of the Conservation Area”. There is a brass plaque on the Orford Road wall which explains the strange angle of the flank wall brickwork.
Opposite the Ancient House is a Grade ll listed hexagonal ‘Penfold’ style pillar box dating from 1869. Moved here in 1970 it was taken out of service in 2005.
Turn left and walk along Church End. On the right after the Churchyard are…
Squires Almshouses (1795): Founded as a home for the poor widows of Walthamstow Tradesmen, (see the oval plaque in the pediment), it is externally unaltered except for small extensions at the rear. Internal rearrangement allowed the number of units to be reduced from six to four in the mid 1990s although the six front doors were retained. It is Grade ll listed.
As Vestry Road turns to the left, past the Church Path is …..
Vestry House Museum (1730): Another Grade ll listed building, the Vestry House was originally built on an acre site as the parish workhouse. Extended several times to meet increasing demand its original symmetrical appearance was altered by the addition of a separate entrance for vestry members in 1779. In 1840 the workhouse was transferred to Leytonstone and the Vestry House became in turn a police station, an armoury, builder’s storage, a private house and in 1931 - Walthamstow’s museum. Two oddities at the Vestry House are the Georgian doorway from a local house demolished in 1933 and the remnant of an ionic column outside the entrance which came from the Post Office building in St Martin’s Le Grand in the City demolished in 1913. It was given to the borough by a local stonemason.
The National Spiritualist Church (1819): St Mary’s National School is opposite the Museum and was the original school building of which the Asian Centre in Orford Road was a later addition. Locally listed, it was used as a school until 1906 and became a Spiritualist Church in 1928. The slate roof has been reinstated but the original sash windows and central chimney have been lost.
Retrace your steps along Vestry Road. On the right at the turn in the road, next to the Spiritualist Church is the ….
Old Fire Engine House: Another local listing, this small building housed the Walthamstow fire engine for much of the 19th century. It was replaced by a bigger building in 1887.
Continue back along Church End. Just past the almshouses turn left diagonally to cross the churchyard. On the left behind the almshouses and opposite the church is….
The Welcome Centre (1828): This was one of the first purpose built infants schools in England. Late Georgian in style it has been altered but has historical interest and is locally listed. It is now in community use.
Continue along the churchyard path to ….
St Mary’s Church: The oldest building on this walk and the heart of the original village, the Parish Church of St Mary’s dates from the 11th century. Listed Grade ll*, the present building is mainly 16th century with substantial 19th century additions having been continually altered for 800 years. Externally it is now rendered in concrete. It benefits from its setting in the large churchyard which contains four Grade ll listed family tombs.
Leave the churchyard to the left of the Church and go through the gates into Church Hill. To the right on leaving are the ……
Monoux Almshouses (1527): Built by George Monoux, a wealthy merchant, Lord Mayor of London and local benefactor. “This two storey building originally comprised a school, a feasthall for the poor, Almshouses, and accommodation for the Almspriest. The building was originally timber-framed and of symmetrical linear form, with two matching “wings” either side of a central gabled & jettied cross wing.” In addition to alterations made over the centuries the wing closest to Church Hill was severely damaged by a World War ll bomb. In 1955 it was replaced by a taller red brick wing with metal casement windows which has spoilt the symmetry of the original. There have also been more recent additions to the rear making the building deeper. The almshouses are listed Grade ll.
Continue along Church Hill. At the crossroads where Church Hill turns left, look to the right.
Fairmont, 115 Church Hill: Stands on a site between Church Hill Road and Prospect Hill and is another relatively unaltered large Victorian villa from the 1870s. This locally listed house was the home of Francis Wragg, innkeeper and stagecoach operator mentioned earlier.
St Mary’s Vicarage (1903): Opposite Fairmont, now a school building, this substantial, detached house was St Mary’s vicarage until the 1970s. This site was part of the vicar’s land holdings (glebe) until the School was constructed and was the site of the vicarage for centuries.
At the cross roads turn left along Church Hill and after a few yards on the left side of the road view….
Walthamstow School for Girls (Essex CC, 1913): This red brick, Grade ll, neo-Georgian listed has two storeys and a symmetrical “E” plan form, with a grand segmental pedimented entrance, modillion cornice and central domed lantern. Although extended and slightly altered over the years the basic design, layout and use still prevails and it remains an important and valuable example of the type with an imposing street elevation.
Return to the crossroads and turn left into The Drive, leaving the Village Conservation Area. The first building on the left is…..
Colby Lodge, 1c The Drive (Pollard Thomas Edwards, 2017): This block of 20 apartments for the elderly is managed by the local charity that manages the Monoux Almshouses. The four storey building is supported on reinforced concrete piles. The basement is formed with in situ suspended concrete slabs and the ground floor slabs are suspended precast concrete beam and block. The upper floor is formed with a lightweight construction supported by a structural steel frame. Outer finishes include buff coloured facing brickwork and quartz-zinc standing seam cladding with oak rainscreen cladding for the therapy and garden rooms. The apartments are one bedroom self contained units. The design was influenced by the views of the residents and takes into account many of the recommendations of the HAPPI report (Housing our Ageing Population: Panel for Innovation) with which PTE were closely involved.
Continue to the crossroads at the end of The Drive. Go left and immediately right to continue straight on down Hurst Road. Walk to its junction with the main road (Forest Road). Opposite the junction, set back from the road is a group of public buildings. Cross the road, and look to the right. At the time of writing (summer 2020) this is a construction site containing.........
Waltham Forest Town Hall and Assembly Hall (Philip Hepworth 1937-43: Hawkins\Brown 2020-24): Walthamstow's Grade II listed Town Hall replaced the Victorian Town Hall in Orford Road in 1942. It is one of a group of three public buildings arranged in a formal landscape with flower beds and a fountain that formed the striking 20th century administrative centre of Walthamstow. The buildings’ design was put out to competition and won by the architect Philip Hepworth. His design in Portland Stone is in an austere modern style known as Nordic Classicism. War-time restrictions meant that plywood panelling was used for the committee rooms rather than oak, terrazzo was used in the foyer instead of marble. The superb acoustics of the adjacent Assembly Hall (far right), completed in 1943, have attracted international recording stars. Architects Hawkins\Brown have designed a scheme to remodel the whole complex which is currently on site. The plan is to create a 21st century civic centre and community hub for Waltham Forest, allowing Council staff to be concentrated in one place while at the same time opening up the Town Hall buildings for greater community use. To help tackle the housing shortage and to support this work around 450 housing units will also be built 50% ‘affordable’.
The Magistrates (GLC Architects Dept, 1972/ Gort Scott, 2018): Adjacent to the Town Hall opposite the end of Hurst Road is the brutalist, former Magistrates Court. Pevsner says: “To the left of the Town Hall, and forming part of the group of public buildings, but firmly of its own time, a tough nephew beside a maiden aunt. Strongly horizontal, of reinforced concrete faced with Portland stone, the heavy massing rebutting the delicacy of the Town Hall.” The Court closed in 2016 and Gort Scott’s refurbishment, completed in early 2018, saw the building stripped back to its core structure and opened up to provide temporary offices for 350 plus council staff while work takes place on the Town Hall itself.
Turn left and walk along Forest Road as far as the crossroads with Hoe Street. At the junction cross Forest Road and walk up Hoe Street on the left side of the road. Walk as far as the second junction on the left (Tower Hamlets Road). Look at the street block on the opposite side of Hoe Street.
Two Corners, 48 & 66-68 Hoe Street (2018): There are new developments at both ends of this block. To the right is 48 and to the left 66-68. These buildings are the subject of an online review by two members of the architectural collective E17 Architects. Although responding to similar circumstances the solutions for the two sites are very different. https://architectse17.wordpress.com/2019/12/05/a-tale-of-two-corners/
Cross Hoe Street and walk down the road that has 66-68 on the corner (Gaywood Road). At the end cross Forest Road on the crossing, turn left and walk a few yards to the telephone kiosk at the entrance to.....
William Morris Gallery (1744): In Forest Road at the entrance to the Gallery is a K6 telephone kiosk. One of eight designs introduced between 1926 and 1983 and once widespread these kiosks are now becoming rare. The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and made of cast iron. This example is now Grade ll listed.
Go into the grounds of the house. This substantial detached house is now a Gallery. It was the childhood home (from age 14-22), of William Morris, leader of the Arts & Crafts movement at the end of the 19th century. A fine example of domestic Georgian architecture, listed Grade ll*, the house you see now is just one wing of the original house the other wing (to the right) having been demolished in the early 1900s. One of the finest features of the exterior is the Corinthian-style porch with its fluted columns and elaborately carved capitals made from wood. Unusually, the original windows in the centre of the front elevation have architraves while those in the bays do not. These, together with the use of band- or string-courses and the upper cornice – added at the same time as the two semi-circular bays (just before 1800) – were intended to give order and symmetry to the façade of the building.
The museum was opened in 1950 by the Prime Minister Clement Atlee. In 2011-12 the Council promoted a major redevelopment designed by Pringle Richards Sharratt Architects. The Gallery was fully refurbished and a new extension was built on the site of the old east wing, housing a tea room, a special exhibition gallery and a collection store. The Gallery won the national Art Fund Museum of the Year Award in 2013.
Walk to the left of the house and through the wall at the side of the house. Continue straight on away from the house and across the bridge over what is an old moat.
Lloyd Park: The house you have just seen was known as ‘The Water House’ when Morris lived there, being named for the lake in its grounds which formed the moat of an earlier medieval house.
Continue walking on the path away from the bridge across the site in the middle of the moat where the medieval house must have been. Then take the path that forks to the left and continue left to cross the moat again. Continue and leave the Park. Walk straight on along Winns Avenue. Look at the left side of the road. This is the......
Winns Estate (1898): Thomas Courtenay Warner started his property empire by developing the family estate he inherited in the 1880s and over the years by developing various sites in Walthamstow, became one of the largest private landlords in London. In the mid 20th century some properties were sold as private renting declined in popularity. The company survived until 2013 when the remaining properties were sold to the Council and Housing Associations. Warner Co. terraces are recognised for the high quality of their design and the materials used. To complement their distinctive homes, Warner provided privet hedges and iron railings on front garden boundaries and trees lining the streets, realising that the value of their property was enhanced by a pleasant appearance.
The Winns estate was one of Warner’s developments and the five streets on the left side of Winns Road as you walk away from the Park are now a conservation area. The area has a mixture of single dwelling houses and, a Warner speciality, the half house, mainly consisting of the latter. Only obvious from the outside when the double front doors are noted, the half house plot is slightly wider than usual. This allows “for a separate staircase and front door to access the first floor flat whilst also allowing for internal circulation for the ground floor flat. Due to this layout, plot ratios for the Warner half houses are generally high as they have a large building footprint and relatively small gardens. The back gardens are split to give the residents of both ground and first floor flats their own private amenity space to the rear.” If you have time walk up and down a couple of streets noting Warner’s characteristic features: bay windows, square and angled, sometimes with ironwork above; arched porches with recessed front doors; red brick and London stocks often with red brick dressings; occasional gables in varying styles. Many original doors still exist while more of the original sash windows have been lost. The street environment is also largely intact with many original privet hedges still in existence. This is partly due to the shallow front gardens being too small to facilitate conversion into parking lots.
Take the fifth road on the left after leaving the Park (Bemsted Road). Walk the full length of the road to Forest Road. Cross Forest Road and walk along the road opposite (Greenleaf Road). Walk the length of this Road which curves to the left and ends back on Hoe Street. At this junction turn right along Hoe Street. Cross Hoe Street to the left hand side and walk as far as the old Cinema on the right now called…
Walthamstow EMD, 186 Hoe Street, (Cecil Aubrey Masey, 1930): Originally built as the Granada Cinema in 1929-30 at the height of the cinema boom of the 1930s this building has had a variety of owners, uses and names. The building is now Grade II* listed, and recognised to be of national significance as a rare surviving example of the extravagant and flamboyant work of the Granada Group, their famed architect Masey and interior designer, Theodore Komisarjevsky. When built, the Granada’s Spanish Baroque exterior contained an elaborately decorated Moorish Style auditorium with 2,697 seats – see the amazing description in the official listing https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1065590. It closed as a cinema in 2003 and was bought by an evangelical charismatic christian church. Following a campaign supported by celebrities, the church was unable to obtain planning permission and sold the building to Antic, a pub company who reopened the building. During Waltham Forest’s year as London’s first Borough of Culture in 2019 the Council purchased the building and commissioned the architects Pilbrow & Partners to design its refurbishment as a 1,000 seat theatre with ancillary uses. Now vacant and boarded up the £17m project was scheduled to start in May 2020.
Continue along Hoe Street a few yards. On the left hand side of the street just before the corner with Church Hill is….
Central Parade (Walthamstow Borough Architects, 1958/Gort Scott Architects, 2016): Designed in the early 1950s by the Council’s Architects under F. G. Southgate and built a few years later, Central Parade had nine shops, a bank and public hall on the ground floor, with offices and 31 flats above. Built on the site of a V1 rocket strike in 1944, Central Parade was a flagship post-war Council regeneration project. Its design is one of the most exuberant examples nationally of the influence of the Festival of Britain (1951) on fifties architecture. Now listed Grade ll, its wavy canopy and clock tower are characteristic design features. At the corner on Hoe Lane there a set of tiled squares which depict the coats of arms of various local families – The small plaque shows their names, among which Toni, Monoux, Morris and Warner have featured on this walk.
A few years ago Central Parade was sensitively refurbished to provide retail and co-working spaces with meeting rooms and studio units for up to 50 independent creative businesses.
Cross Church Hill and Hoe Lane to the corner diagonally opposite Central Parade. From here you have a good view of Central Parade and opposite it turning the corner of the High Street and Hoe Lane......
The Scene (Pollard, Thomas, Edwards Architects, 2014): A multiple award-winning new development of private sale, ‘affordable rental’ and shared ownership homes surrounding a communal garden, built on top of new cinema and restaurants to help regenerate the contemporary commercial centre of Walthamstow. The Scene is, perhaps, a contemporary equivalent of Central Parade?
The High Street: Now the contemporary commercial centre of Walthamstow, having long eclipsed the Victorian Orford Road centre. The High Street’s development benefited from railway stations at either end, while there was no station for the Orford Road or old village centres. The High Streets’ main claim to fame these days is as the longest street market in Europe. Founded in 1885 and at its busiest on Saturday, at its greatest extent the market has over 350 pitches and stretches for over half a mile. Compared with many other London markets it has remained un-touristy, still catering primarily for Waltham Forest’s multi ethnic community.
Continue along the High Street for a few yards. On the left is…….
Walthamstow Central Library: (J W Dunford, 1909/Faulkner Browns Architects, 2007)
This is a ‘Carnegie’ Library and there is a bust of the philanthropist above the High Street entrance. The Grade ll listed Edwardian Reading Room and Wren-style red brick building with stone dressings were refurbished over a decade ago. The architects also added an extension (round the corner), which created a new 8m high glass foyer with terracotta cladding which mimics a Chesterfield sofa and, internally, coloured glass and photography of local people on distinctive coloured joinery. The design aimed “to transform the stereotypical ‘silent’ library of old into a vibrant hub of activity, colour and stimulation”.
At this point you can either.......... end the walk by turning left after the Library and Nat West Bank. Cross the Town Gardens taking the path lined with mature lime trees with the bus station on your left. Cross Selborne Road and turn left to the entrance to the Tube. Or........
Alternatively take a detour to visit the High Street’s top tourist attraction and a Grade ll listed building. Walk down the High Street beginning to appreciate the markets length. After the Willow Walk junction, on the left hand side as you continue down the High Street is ……
Manze’s, 76 High Street (Herbert Wright, 1929): L. Manze is a Grade ll listed, traditional, east London eel, pie and mash shop. It was built in to a design by and retains much of the original exterior and interior. Notable externally is the black facsia with L. Manze in gold lettering, while internally the exceptionally complete interior features white and green tiles, inset mirrors, pink and grey terrazzo floor and pressed tin panel ceiling. Once there were over 100 such businesses in east and south London but nowadays they are increasingly rare. This is one of the best remaining examples.
Turn back and return to the Town Square on the right before the Library. Turn right and follow the directions above across the Town Square to the Tube.
End: Walthamstow Central Station