An independent Calvinistic chapel on the east side of Church Terrace in Richmond, London. Built in 1797, the small 1-storey stuccoed building is Grade II* listed. It still has its original galleried interior with pews and pulpit.
Saturday 4th September
Video of history of the Chapel
10am to 4pm
A Huntington Chapel ,
The Chapel was built in 1797 by John Chapman , a market gardener of Petersham, for a Calvinistic Independent Congregation. Licence was granted by the Bishop of Winchester and with permission of Queen Charlotte.
The Chapel was opened by William Huntington, the well-known self-educated ‘coal-heaver preacher’, who was a frequent visiting preacher in the early years, it is therefore known as a ‘Huntington Chapel’ and is believed to be the oldest Independent Free Church in West London still being used as a place of worship.
In January 1910 Richmond Town Council made a compulsory purchase of the Chapel in connection with proposed road widening in Paradise Road and Church Terrace. By November 1912 it was evident that the demolition of the chapel would not be necessary and it was agreed to sell the property back to the Trustees on the condition that the two cottages adjoining were removed. The sale back to the Trustees was completed in April 1932. The Chapel has remained virtually unaltered from this time.
In 1994 Richmond Society and the Council’s conservation officer and the Trustees, with great help from Mr David Church MBE, met to decide how necessary repair works on the Chapel (Grade II* listed building) could be achieved. After many site visits and much correspondence with various experts, English Heritage gave a grant for 90% of the estimated costs of repair and the remaining 10% was covered by the Trustees. The main structural work was finished in 1999; the final internal decoration was carried out for a further 3-4 years by members of the congregation.
The Chapel received an award in 2000 from Richmond Society that recognised projects that made a positive contribution towards the conservation of the town.