Built as a chapel in 1875, this octagonal brick building has also served as a synagogue, an office and a gym. Now this local landmark is being brought back into use as a theatre for the Tower Theatre Company.
Regular tours every 30 mins (10am-4pm) max 15 per tour
Suzie Bridges Architects,
Built in 1875 as a Primitive Methodist chapel and school the building was badly damaged during the second World War. It remained derelict for a while until a Jewish congregation carried out extensive repairs and renovations in 1953 and the building became the Northwold Road Synagogue. It closed in 1989 and was converted for offices known as Sunstone House. It then became a women-only gym.
The Current Building
The Tower Theatre Company acquired the property in 2018 and has set about conversion of the building to make a home for the company which was formerly housed at Canonbury Tower.
The basic octagonal shape of the main spaces remains but since the conversion into offices, nothing is left of its former use as a house of worship.
In the basement are two rehearsal rooms and storage space for costumes and props. The raised ground floor houses a studio and a bar. The first floor is the performance space and retains the octagonal plan and the spectacular roof structure which rises to a lantern.