Tiny polygonal building originally for the beadle. Used as local police station until 1930s and then as offices. Grade II listed.
The building, situated in Enfield Town conservation area comprises an octagonal shaped building abutting to Grays Newsagents at 21 The Town.
A small, lodge-like building of circa 1800. 2-storey centre and one-storey sides canted back. Stucco with 1st floor band continuing as frieze of side wings. Impost band to round headed windows in wings. Central double door, now half-glazed, in quasi-entablature surround with pediment. Sash windows, some with glazing bars. Centre 1st floor window round-headed tripartite in round-arched recess. Low pitched hipped slate roof.
The Grade II property is listed. The first floor accommodation is a rectangular form over the octagonal offices at ground floor. Roofs to all sections of the property are flat and the windows are of timber casements.
Storage heaters heat the property and there is a small concrete paved area to the rear.
On the ground floor there are two main offices, a side office a strong room and store, a kitchen and a toilet. On the first floor are two offices and a storage area.
The wrought iron railings, half-octagonal on plan. Urn finials at angles and to square wrought iron piers supporting central gates are also Grade II listed.
The building was originally built in 1829 for the Beadle of the parish and was the original police station for the Ancient Parish of Enfield.
The Old Enfield Charitable Trust
The building is occupied and owned by The Old Enfield Charitable Trust. An independent local charity serving the community living and working in the Ancient Parish of Enfield. They support individuals, families and organisations in financial need by offering personal, educational and community grants.
They have been able to continue their work for more than 500 years thanks to the generous gifts of Enfield benefactors and the granting of a Royal Charter giving them the right to run Enfield Market.