Originally the waiting lounge for passengers at Peckham Rye Station, designed in high Victorian style.
Driver, Charles H,
Benedict O'Looney Architects,
It was once considered to be one of the grandest station waiting rooms in south London, but for decades the space at Peckham Rye railway station was bricked up and forgotten about. The Old Waiting Room was designed by Charles Henry Driver as part of Peckham Rye Station when it opened in 1865. After falling out of use for passengers it became a Billiard Hall in the 1920s, finally closing its doors in 1962.
Following a successful campaign to get the building Grade II listed in 2007, Benedict O'Looney Architects have been working in partnership with Network Rail and other stakeholders to open up and celebrate this local treasure. They have completed various restoration projects in the space including repairing windows and doors, opening up and repairing the floor, conservation of paintwork in the stairwell and recently the design of an extension to the staircase to provide public access from the ground floor. Their work at the station has received a commendation from the Heritage Angels scheme (Historic England).