The 2018 programme is now past. We will be launching the 2019 programme mid-August.
St Mary of Eton Church Mixed Use Development
Bodley & Garner
95 Eastway, Hackney Wick, E9 5JA
Disabled access, Toilets
Refurbished Grade II* listed church with new community facilities, new housing (no entry to housing). 2015 RIBA Award, New London Architecture Award, Housing Design Award
Bodley & Garner,
Matthew Lloyd Architects LLP,
Religious, Community/cultural, Mixed use
'The Mission is a queer mixture of religion, sport, and social service. But the aim is never in doubt. It is to help the people of Hackney Wick to Heaven; and if they are not interested in Heaven, to help them make the best of this life, anyway'.
From ‘The Story of the Eton Mission’, 1951
Founded by the Eton College mission in 1880, the present church was built 1890-2 to the designs of George Frederick Bodley and enlarged 1910-12 at the west end, with vestries and tower added by Cecil Hare, Bodley’s successor. Screen by Bodley, now at the west end; altar by W. Ellery Anderson, 1930. Lady Chapel at south -east corner with decorated ceiling. Main east window and east window of the Lady Chapel by Francis Spear, 1953 . West end: font, 1891, in projecting baptistry with decorated ceiling and separated from the nave with Bodley screen. The screen is painted gold and dark green, with intricate Gothic tracery.
Historical Note: The church forms the focus of the Eton College Mission founded by William How, first Bishop of Wakefield, in 1880. The Clergy and social workers, mostly Old Etonians, lived in the ancillary buildings which were built 1892 - 1912. In 1953 the parish of St Mary’s joined that of St Augustine’s and the Etonian connection died out. This church has an important place in Bodley’s work, one of the last in his late group of churches and with a special function in religious and social outreach.
1911-12 by Cecil Hare. Tall square tower of 3 stages with octagonal, taller south-east staircase turret. Red brick with stone dressings stepping in slightly at angles. Battlemented parapet with traceried panels. Horizontal stone banding in top stage. Large bell-openings with flamboyant tracery. Flying buttress rests on roof of Mission Hall to west.
Late C19. 2-storey. 7-bay building of red brick with yellow brick bands. On 1st floor tall, pointed-arched windows under gables alternate with lower windows, all of 5 lights. At right projecting external stairway covers 3 ground floor bays. Chamfered reveals and 4 -centred relieving arches to windows give a rather Arts-and-Crafts effect overall.
Matthew Lloyd Architects has created 3 new buildings providing 31 residential units, as well as a new church centre, community facilities and extensive re-landscaping. The design has been developed with reverence for the extraordinary church, its buildings, and the Mission’s rich social history. St Mary of Eton is a symbol of stability and continuity in the midst of constant change, and is much loved by the community: this redevelopment ensures its ability to serve local people now and in the future.