Peter Barber Architects
- Original design
- Edwin T. Hall, 1904
- Peter Barber Architects, 2013
The 2017 programme is now past. We will be launching the 2018 programme on 21st August.
29 Peckham Road is a Grade II Listed, late Victorian ‘Baroque’ building located at the junction of Peckham Road and Havil Street (formerly Workhouse Lane). The site had previously been occupied by a workhouse, and then later by hospital buildings from the first quarter of the 18th century. The present building at 29 Peckham Road was built for the Poor Law Guardians in 1904 after demolition of the Old Vestry Hall building, and was shown as the ‘Guardian’s Office’ in the 1914 Ordnance Survey map.
By 1930 the London County Council (LCC) was in possession of all the buildings on this site and 29 Peckham Road was occupied by the Divisional Health Offices. The buildings were soon renamed as St Giles’ Hospital and in 1948 joined the NHS under the Camberwell Hospitals Management Committee.
By 1966 the hospital became part of the King’s College Teaching Hospital Group where it remained until 1983 when it was converted to a psychiatric day hospital. Southwark Council took over the buildings and 29 Peckham Road remained in use as council offices until closure in 2010, when Thames Reach purchased this property to house its Employment Academy.
The Employment Academy is a state of the art learning and support facility occupying delightful, light and airy accommodation in the beautiful listed building fronting Peckham Road and in dramatic spaces located in a new building set out around a courtyard garden.
The principal entrance on Peckham Road leads into the magnificent entrance area with 4 metre high ceilings and stunning original mosaic floors and walls. Arches frame a view to the welcoming mosaic fronted desk, with southerly light flooding the space from the large neo baroque windows beyond. The original arched colonnade is restored and leads through to a large central open-plan area offering views into the new central courtyard which lies at the heart of the building. Administrative offices are located behind the reception area with a sunny southerly outlook over a lawned front garden.
Additional entrances on Havil Street offer an accessible level entrance way into the open plan central area, and a secondary entrance gives direct access into the new cafe which has street frontage onto Havil Street and also overlooks and connects with the new central courtyard to its rear.
The beautiful original ceremonial staircase leads out of the reception area and up to the first floor, into a grand arcaded hallway with mosaic floors and walls. On the south side of the hallway, the Meeting Spaces and Classroom are located in three panelled rooms with 4 metre high ceilings and a fabulous southerly outlook. Across the hallway, the Events Space occupies the magnificent double height council chamber. These spaces are also designated for addditional use out of hours and at weekends by visitors and the local community.
Stairs at either end of the reception area lead down to the Thames Reach / Academy members’ offices, training spaces and meeting rooms which are located in open plan and cellular spaces looking south into the front garden and opening out into the sunny central courtyard garden which lies at the heart of the project.
A 3-4 storey turret containing the Tenancy Support, ‘Buzz’ room employment and Self-employment spaces overlooks Havil Street at the north end of the building. It accommodates one disabled parking space and cycle parking at its base.
An entrance lift is located at the Havil Street entrance of the building giving easy access for disabled people and provides a practical and direct route for deliveries. A lift is installed in the south western corner of the original building, serving all floors, with additional lifts serving the turret and raised meeting room. Small level changes are ramped or provide with stair lifts.