G. P Trentham
- Original design
- G. P Trentham, 1935
The 2018 programme is now past. We will be launching the 2019 programme mid-August.
The pool was built in 1935 at Hillingdon House Farm and operated for 63 years until it was closed in 1998.The opening ceremony for the pool was held on 31 August 1935.It is very interesting to note from the official programme how many lengths it took to swim a mile and the total cost of the project in 1935.The primary structures are Grade II listed and include a unique 12 sided ‘star’ shaped outdoor pool.
Historically, lidos were a very popular family activity. Old photographic evidence indicates the open air pool was very heavily used for decades until the quality of the facilities began to decline when alternative leisure options became available. We now had the opportunity to redress the balance and regenerate the original features and excitement of the pool, supported by an extensive sporting development which builds upon the original health, fitness and well-being ethos of the 1935 pool.
Formerly known as Uxbridge Lido, the Grade II-listed, 50m, open-air swimming pool was reopened in 2010 and is now one of the best lidos in the country. The outdoor pool has been restored to its 1930s glory, complete with cascades (fountains) at both ends and a new heated shallow splash pool for children.
The principal aim of the project was to bring the pool back into use for the benefit of local people and the wider community of the London Borough of Hillingdon. As with the restoration of all listed buildings there was a desire that they should be preserved but it was also recognised that to secure the long term future of these buildings it was best to establish a viable beneficial use for the facility. The Secretary of State's ETR document ‘Power of Place’ put forward the view that the preservation of the past is very much dependent on its having a viable future. Design of new elements should both complement and enhance the historic structures. It states “the historic environment is the context within which new development happens” in order to “encourage the repair and use of neglected buildings”.
Thus the main architectural objectives of the new facility are:
• To retain and bring back into beneficial use those elements of the pool identified as being of high significance.
• To accommodate a new indoor pool along with other sport facilities that will support and enhance the opportunities for the community to participate in sports.
The new sports facility acts as a catalyst to encourage the repair and re-use of the neglected buildings, putting conservation at the heart of renewal and regeneration. The new facility enables this to happen within the realm of a long-term sustainable development which will support fully the pool and its existing buildings.The key aspects of the new building are all generated from the strategy of creating a fully integrated and meaningful refurbishment of the pool. The main elements include:
• A new entrance to the combined leisure facility to remain on the existing axial entrance route into the pool.
• The axial entrance route is to be visually reinforced through the car park with soft landscaping and leads to the new Athletics Pavilion to the north.
• Changes to levels around the Lido pool surround improve views and appreciation of the pool and help control the movement of people through the facility, particularly for pool users who are directed around the pool to the west. This also helps define “wet” areas around the pool surround which can be used for sun loungers and seating.
• The pool has divisions that provide for a 50m pool with a leisure pool, at one end. The children's pool has jets and is heated.