Single-space, double-height purpose-built architects' studio 60 metres long - part of a larger riverside building that has 30 apartments.
Foster + Partners,
History of the Firm
• Foster + Partners have overseas offices in New York, Madrid, Beijing, Abu Dhabi and Hong Kong, and representatives of the office working in further 22 cities.
• Foster + Partners employ approximately 1253 staff worldwide with about 1055 based in London.
• Work ranges from city masterplans in Stockholm, Abu Dhabi, Rotterdam, Barcelona, Kings Cross, Nîmes, Duisburg, London (World Squares for All), Milan and Gibraltar, to single-family houses, furniture design and door handles.
• Major projects recently completed include: More London (2010), CircleBath (2009), Winspear Opera House (2009), Langley Academy (2009), Beijing Airport (2008), Dolder Hotel (2008), Folkestone Academy (2007), Hong Kong International Airport (1998), the Congress Centre Valencia (1998), North Greenwich Interchange (1998), the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen (1998), Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Imperial College (1998), Jubilee Line Canary Wharf Station (1999), the Reichstag New German Parliament (1999), National Botanic Garden of Wales (2000), the Millennium Bridge (2000), the Great Court, British Museum (2000), the Expo Station in Singapore (2001), the Musée de Préhistoire in France (2001), City Hall (2002), the Clark Center at Stanford University, USA (2003), the Capital City Academy in Brent (2003) and the Business Academy in Bexley (2003), Chesa Futura, Switzerland (2004), 30 St Mary Axe, Swiss Re Headquarters (2004), Shops for Asprey in New York (2003) and London (2004), the McLaren Technology Centre, Woking (2004), Petronas University of Technology in Malaysia (2004), The Sage Gateshead (2004) and Millau Viaduct (2004), Deutsche Bank Place, Sydney (2005) and Free University of Berlin (2005), Dresden Station (2006) and the Hearst Tower in New York (2006).
• The practice moved into Riverside February 1990.
• Building is mixed-use with offices on ground and first floor and 30 apartments plus penthouse above. It has a concrete structure.
• Total floor area of complex 11,235m2
• Office space is 60 metres long, 24 metres deep and 6.5 metres high with mezzanine along core edge with fabric ceiling, minimal finishes, concrete, glass and stone.
• 13 specially designed desks each 11 metres long at right angles to glazed wall to allow everyone a view
• All staff work in same 'room', no enclosed spaces, all staff have same allocation of space. Teams work together with admin staff and modelmakers on same bench.
• Construction: 1987-1990
Client: Petmoor Developments
Architects Foster and Partners
Structural Engineers: Ove Arup and Partners
Site Area: 4,000m2
Building Area: 2,000m2