Tottenham Town Hall
AS Taylor & AR Jemmett
- Original design
- AS Taylor & AR Jemmett, 1904
The 2018 programme is now past. We will be launching the 2019 programme mid-August.
Opened in November 1905, and built by the borough architects A S Taylor and A R Jemmett, the Town Hall forms a line set back from the road, with the Fire Station, Swimming Baths and Municipal College.
The style is Edwardian Baroque and reminiscent of 17th century Dutch architecture, in brick with stone accents. The centre of the Town Hall facade breaks forward with attached stone columns at first floor level, with one further bay each end. The principal windows have pediments, segmental in the centre, triangular each side, over tall windows with bowed balconies. The facade has a great deal of carved stone mouldings, urns along the roofline and the whole thing topped off by a cupola with a clock.
Inside, the mosaic-floored foyer is on two levels, leading to the staircase branching up to the landing. Balusters are stone, the handrails dark marble, and the walls have complex panelling and window-framing with stucco cartouches and mouldings. The design of the stained glass is Renaissance in style. The broad landing is also floored in black, white and pinkish-brown mosaic and terazzo.
The Moselle Room is barrell-vaulted but crossed at the ends of the room where the ceiling curves to meet the vault. A strange, almost Arabic lattice pattern covers the ceiling, with heavy ribs of stucco leaves and fruit. The effect is seriously marred by the regrettable 60s light fittings. The room runs the length of the projecting section of the facade, with tall windows and a small gallery at the north end. Further natural light is provided by lunettes opposite the main windows. The room is panelled in light oak, with a dado punctuated by plaster cartouches.
Bptw's refurbishment of the Grade ll Listed Town Hall was completed in 2011. The building originally completed in 1904 was rescued from the English Heritage 'at risk' register and transformed by architects bptw partnership, Newlon Housing Trust and United House. The exciting competition-winning scheme has safeguarded the future of the Town Hall, forming a new business centre for Tottenham and restoring the Council Chamber, the Moselle Room, now available for public use.
Works to the original Grade ll Listed Edwardian Baroque Town Hall involved complete external and internal refurbishment including the Grand foyer and Moselle Room with its stunning Moorish-Jacobean style ceiling. Brickwork and stonemasonry restoration was undertaken along with repairs to the original timber windows, the large marble staircase and intricate terrazzo mosaic floor tiling. Access for all was achieved with the sensitive insertion of a passenger lift.
Careful liaison with English Heritage and Haringey Council Conservation formed a key part of this refurbishment project. A salvage strategy to recycle as many of the materials from the original building was compiled including: slate tiles, granite setts, bricks and stone window cills.
Lee Valley Estates have taken over the management of the building as a whole including use of the Moselle Room.