The 2018 programme is now past. We will be launching the 2019 programme mid-August.
Upminster Tithe Barn Museum
Kent Barn Builders
Hall Lane, Upminster, RM14 1AU
Partial disabled access, Parking
15C box-framed, 9-bay, aisled barn, weatherboarded with crown-post, collar-tie reed-thatched roof. Ancient monument.
Kent Barn Builders,
The Upminster Tithe Barn houses a collection of artefacts of nostalgic origin and is located in Hall Lane, Upminster in the London Borough of Havering. It is owned by Havering Borough Council and run in partnership with the Hornchurch and District Historical Society.
The thatched building the museum is located in dates from the 15th century and is commonly known as the Tithe Barn , however there is no evidence to suggest it was ever used for the collection of tithes.
The Tithe Barn was built by the Abbey of Waltham in 1450 when the Hall (now the golf club) was a retiring place or hunting seat for the Abbot. The Tithe Barn stands 18 metres long by 12 metres wide and 45 metres long.
The Tithe Barn became a museum on 1 May 1976. There are currently over 14,500 exhibits of domestic and agricultural use, ranging from Roman times to the present day.