The 2018 programme is now past. We will be launching the 2019 programme mid-August.
Richmond Lock Building (Surrey Side)
Francis Goold Morony Stoney
The Towpath, Richmond, TW9 2QJ
Partial disabled access, Toilets
Example of good-quality late-Victorian functional design.
Francis Goold Morony Stoney,
The Port of London Authority owns and operates Richmond Lock and Weir, which is also the base for the Upper River Harbour Service patrols between Putney and Teddington Lock.
Situated between Teddington and Richmond, the weir comprises three vertical steel sluice gates suspended from a footbridge. Each gate weighs 32 tons and is 66 feet wide and 12 feet in depth.
For around two hours each side of high tide, the sluice gates are raised into the footbridge structure above, allowing ships and boats to pass through the barrage. For the rest of the day the sluice gates are closed and passing river traffic must use the lock alongside the barrage.
The sluice gates ensure that the water level betwen Richmond Lock and Teddington Lock is maintained at or above half-tide level.
The structure was officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of York in 1894.
PLA completed a major, £4 million refurbishment of the lock and weir in the early 1990s. HRH Prince Andrew, Duke of York was, appropriately, guest of honour at celebrations of the system's Centenary in 1994.