We will be launching the 2021 programme at 12pm on 11 August 2021
Barons Court Station
(1905 for the District Railway). Listed (photo1). The façade has fine tilework and Art Nouveau lettering. When the track was laid out in 1874 the area was still farmland, however by 1905, when the station was built, it was sufficiently developed to warrant a station of its own.
Turn left and left again into Talgarth Road
135-49 Talgarth Road – St Paul’s Studios (1891 by Frederick Wheeler ‘designed for bachelor artists’ (photo 2), 149 was lived in by Margot Fonteyn. 151, Colet House, (1885) was built for Sir Coutts Lindsay, founder of the Grosvenor Gallery) and used by Burne-Jones for his largest painting, The last Sleep of Arthur in Avalon, which is now in Puerto Rico.
Back to Barons Court Station. Turn right into Barons Court Road which leads into Margravine Gardens.
Nos 2-6 are Margravine Studios (1890 Gibbs & Flew - photo 3), Nos 6-12 are houses related to the Studios (1890 Gibbs & Flew). The terrace has a distinctive turret. No 5, also built as a studio (1887/8 Harris and Wardrop), is a single storey building with the large distinctive studio window.
Continue right into St Dunstan’s Road
17 Dunstan’s Road is now the Hungarian Reformed Church (photo 4). Built as a studio in 1891 by CFA.Voysey for the painter WEF Britten, it was adapted for the Church in 1958. At the time it was built, this was a rural spot. The house has the appearance of a country cottage with studio behind, but one that has been designed with great attention to detail e.g. the large sloping chimney, wide entrance with canopy and decorated iron railings. Originally it would have been very colourful with green paintwork and green glazed brick sills.
Continue along St Dunstan’s Road, noting the gaps between the terraces especially 30/32, which were built by different small builders. At end of street ahead is the Charing Cross Hospital (founded in 1818) which moved to this site 1973, replacing the former Victorian Fulham Workhouse and Hospital.
Turn left and then left into
Margravine Cemetery. On the left as you enter, WW I and II memorials to staff of J. Lyons & Co, formerly based in Hammersmith. The memorials were originally erected in Sudbury, moved to Greenford and brought here in 2000.
Further on the right, the listed memorial to Adrian Smith (c1923), a tall cross on a base with a niche containing the figure of a gold prospector. On the left a notice signposts the recently restored memorial to those who died in an explosion at the Blake’s Munitions Factory at White City in 1918 . Further on the right the Bronze memorial to George Broad (c1895 - photo5) who owned the foundry which made the Eros statue at Piccadilly Circus.
Continue along to the circle – go left to the listed octagonal Reception House (photo 6), the only one remaining in London, where bodies awaited burial,
Back to the circle and straight ahead to the exit gate, passing on the left the Former Non-Conformist chapel (photo 7).
Out of the cemetery and down Field Road, passing on the left a large brick building, one of the Covered Tennis courts of the Queens Club. The club founded in 1886, is named after Queen Victoria, its first patron, and was the world’s second multipurpose sports complex. It now has 28 outdoor courts and 8 indoor. It is also the national headquarters of real tennis, rackets, and squash.
Left into Greyhound Road, opposite Tasso Baptist Church (1887), and continue along to on the left
The Colton Arms (1855), is a much loved very local pub, once considered to be the smallest pub in London(photo 8).
On the right, is Queens Club Gardens (W.H.Gibbs, 1894). It consists of 33 blocks of mansion flats named after literary and historical figures in alphabetical order –Arnold – Zenobia (three in Greyhound Road). Advertisements for the new apartments described modern amenities such as ‘kitcheners’ (coal-fired ranges with oven and back boilers to provide hot water) sculleries, coal bunkers, larders, ‘sumptuous decoration, gas lighting, electric bells, venetian blinds and fireproof stair cases. The garden in the centre in private.
Walk around 3 sides of gardens and out into Normand Road turn left and then left then right into St Andrews Road
St Andrews Church (1837-4 Newman & Billing, enlarged 1894-6 Aston Webb - photo 9). If open do go in as the Sanctuary is magnificent (photo 10) and there is an Arts & Crafts stained glass window in the SE Chapel by Paul Woodroffe (1902).
Take the path on the right of the Church and walk through to look at the former very handsome vicarage, now converted to flats.
Continue ahead and, at the end of the path, turn right into Perham Road and turn right continuing to Challoner Crescent. Note Studio 3 Challoner Crescent (1899) – an eccentric building put to use by for or by an artist (photo 11).
Turn back up Challoner Street and on the right note Nos 1-4 (Francis L.Pither 1887), Aesthetic Movement houses, possibly built as studios.
Further up on the corner of Castleton Street, The Bhavan Centre, formerly the West Kensington Congregational Church (James Cubitt, 1882-5) now an Institute of Indian Culture, the largest centre for Indian Arts and Culture outside India (photo 12). The institute moved to here in 1978. 800 students a week pass through its doors. Details of courses and events can be found on its website, bhavan.net
Turn right into Castleton Street and carry on to North End Road. Cross and turn right into Beaumont Crescent, where at No 2 there is a blue plaque to Marcus Garvey (1887-1940), who founded the Universal Negro Improvement Association in 1914
Back to the North End Road and turn right towards the Talgarth Road, passing the Famous 3 Kings Pub (1902), with its splendid arched glazed entrance (photo 13). The pub was known as Nashville in the 1970’s and was a venue where the Sex Pistols played. It is now promoted as “London’s best sports pub’ with multiple screens.
Cross Talgarth Road turn right and head for the bridge, where along on the left you will see the Whiteley’s warehouse along the railway (photo 14), Whiteleys Repository-(1892-1901 Alfred Ridge). Originally Whiteleys Depository and Laundry, these warehouses supplied Whiteleys department store in Queensway. This store at the time had no serious rival in London. The Whiteley slogan was ‘Everything from a pin to an elephant’ for sale under one roof. Whiteley, who had himself a colourful ‘rags to riches’ story, was shot dead in 1907 by someone who claimed to be his son. The family finally sold the business to Selfridges in 1927.
The handsome repository buildings have an industrial appearance and are especially impressive seen from the railway below. The area also contains a laundry block and stables as well as the 5 storey warehouse.
Walk back along Talgarth Road and descend the ramp to Mornington Avenue turn right into Matheson Road and at the end is Avonmore Road. Turn right to look at the main entrance to the Whiteley’s buildings at the end. Turn back along Avonmore road, and note on the left at 51, plaque to Sir Edward Elgar 1889. On the right Sir Compton Mackenzie lived at No 54.
22 Avonmore Road. Listed built 1888-9 by James Maclaren for the sculptor H R Pinker in Arts and Crafts style as his home and studio.
22A Avonmore Road is a working studio. Kenneth Armitage a British sculpture known for his abstract semi bronzes lived here until his death in 2002. The house is now part of the Kenneth Armitage Foundation. The foundation makes an award of a fellowship which provides for an annual stipend and the use of the studio and residence (Photo 15)
20 Avonmore Road 1887, plaques VR & 1887, is possibly a former Post Office
8 Avonmore Road – Studio House, c1880 (photo 16) - was in 1891 the home of William Lockhart who was commissioned by Queen Victoria to paint her Jubilee celebrations; the picture now hangs in Windsor Castle. In 1895 the portrait painter Edward Fellowes Prynne appears on the electoral register. Later occupied in 1949-57 by Gavin Maxwell, author of The Ring of Bright Water.
Leigh Court, 6 Avonmore Road c 1900, was originally a J.Lyons office with accommodation for staff above (currently-2021- covered in scaffolding ).
Retrace your steps back to where you turned out of Mornington Road, carry on along North End Crescent to North End Road. Cross North End Road and turn right into Gwendwr Rd.
Gwendwr Gardens Park opened in 1949. In 1948 the area was donated to Fulham Council by the Gunter Estate for a memorial to the victims of German air raids in the area, particularly the Operation Steinbock raid on the night of 20 February 1944.There is an ornamental sunken garden, pond and tall shady trees photo 17).
Go back to North End Road, turn right and cross Talgarth Road and West Kensington Station is on your left.
Full details of this walk and photos can be downloaded and printed from https://www.fulhamsociety.org/selfguided-walks